May 8, 2021

Premium Newspaper

The Premium News Provider

We’ll find a way to bring back the foreign players in the IPL: the head of the IPL


IPL President Brigis Patel said Tuesday that the Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry “will find a way” to return foreign recruits in the league to their countries after the event was suspended indefinitely due to the outbreak of COVID-19 in its vital bubble.

The tournament was announced suspended after SunRisers Hyderabad Wriddhiman Saha’s wicket keeper tested positive for the COVID-19 virus along with Delhi Capitals’ veteran rotor Amit Mishra.

“We need to bring them home and we will find a way to do that,” Brigis told PTI when asked about how foreigners are returning home.

Foreigners participating in the lucrative league are anxious about returning to their home countries due to travel restrictions imposed in the wake of the resurgence of the deadly epidemic in India.

The Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry had earlier assured foreign players a safe return as well.

There were 14 Australian players remaining in the IPL, after three withdrawals a few days ago, along with 10 New Zealanders and 11 English players. South Africa had 11 players in the league, which also featured nine West Indians, three Afghans and two Bangladeshis.

In a joint statement, the Australian Cricket Association and the Australian Cricket Association said they respect their government’s decision to suspend flights from India due to the spread of the new Coronavirus here and will not seek exemptions for players stranded in the country devastated by a deadly second wave of the pandemic.

“CA is in direct contact with BCCI as they work through plans to ensure safe accommodation and repatriation for Australian players, coaches, match officials and commentators back home to Australia.

“The CA and ACA respect the Australian government’s decision to temporarily suspend travel from India until at least 15 May and will not seek exemptions.”

They added, “CA and ACA thank the Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry for their efforts and cooperation for the safe return of all IPL participants.”

In response to BCCI’s big move, Cricket South Africa (CSA) said it is in contact with players who will need home quarantine upon arrival from India as per WHO recommendations.

“Those who travel to South Africa will be quarantined at home, in line with current WHO recommendations,” she said in a statement.

“The CSA and the South African Cricket Association (SACA) are in contact with all players and have assured their safety and comfort in their positions.”

The Canadian Space Agency said it supported BCCI’s decision to suspend the league taking into account the current situation and thanked the Indian Board for its sponsorship of its players.

“CSA supports the decision to place the health and safety interests of all tournament participants first and foremost, and has liaised with all relevant franchises to ensure speedy travel for all South African players and support staff to our shores.”

New Zealand Cricket has expressed its belief in the ability of the Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry to handle the situation.

“The players are in a relatively safe environment and the people within the affected teams are in isolation,” read the NZC statement published by ESPNcricinfo.

“We will continue to coordinate with the BCCI, the European Central Bank and New Zealand government authorities regarding managing their situations – but at this point it is too early to discuss potential options.”

The India and New Zealand players were supposed to travel together on a charter flight to the UK where they would face the World Test Championship final in June.

Of all the foreign recruits, Australians have been the most vocal about their concerns.

On Monday, Michael Slater, a cricketer-turned-commentator who has been commenting in the Indian Premier League, fled to the Maldives and launched a stinging attack on his country’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, for not allowing its citizens to return from India, calling the travel ban a “disgrace.” .

“If our government cares about the safety of Australians, they will let us go home. It’s a shame !! Blood on your hands in the afternoon. How dare you treat us this way. How about the quarantine system. I got permission from the government for that. I work on IPL but have now Governmental neglect, “Slater tweeted.

Two days ago, Australian Cricketer Glenn Maxwell said cricketers from his country would not mind traveling on the same chartered trip that would take India, New Zealand and England players to the UK after the IPL.

On Monday, Chennai’s bowling coach Super Kings El Balaji, along with Kolkata Knight Riders Sandeep Warrior and Varun Chakravarthy, returned with positive results.